Senior Convention Sales Manager
Under general supervision the Senior Convention Sales Manager is responsible for enhancing economic growth in El Paso by marketing, promoting, and selling the destination as the best location for meetings, conventions, conferences, sporting events, tradeshows and special by working closely with meeting planners, event coordinators, events rights holders and organization leadership. In absence of the Director, the Senior Convention Sales Manager may provide leadership of the department.
• Responsible for soliciting and booking of group business for El Paso area hotels, meeting facilities and other venues, with a primary focus on securing hotel room nights for the city by researching and gathering appropriate information on target markets to qualify leads and plan an effective sales approach.
• Prospect new clients, business and make contact with associations via various solicitation methods including but not limited to internet research, telephone calls, letters, emails, and personal contacts to research meeting needs and determine department’s role for meeting those needs.
• Supervise a team of sales managers and their quantifiable performance as assigned by the Director. Responsible to implement and manage incentive-based compensation on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Meet or exceed individual and team quantifiable goals for prospecting, leads generated, and business confirmed as set by the Convention Development Director.
• Produce reports for Convention Development Director, including but not limited to: sales metrics, quantifiable goal progress, reports requested by city officials/departments, internal reports for Director, GM or Corporate office and as directed on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Analyze tradeshow/event participation cost vs benefit to determine best return on investment.
• Gather reports/data for annual reports and marketing plan as well as prepare an analysis for upcoming budget preparations and projections.
• Utilize the MINT and TxMET systems to identify leads and to keep updated with meeting information.
• Utilize department’s database to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospect leads, new business, sales calls, existing client interaction, and group servicing activity.
• Conduct direct sales efforts through customized convention bids/presentations, targeted sales missions, sales calls, and participation in trade shows and travel industry activity designed to reach consumers and meeting planners as determined by Director/Marketing Plan.
• Produce detailed wrap reports at the end of each travel mission or sales trip.
• Make written or in person presentations to boards of directors, convention delegates or site selection committees as directed to secure an organization’s commitment to El Paso.
• Develop and maintain an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the Greater El Paso area and effectively use this knowledge as a sales tool.
• Develop relationships and build partnerships with local businesses, attractions and hotels relative to El Paso’s hospitality industry. Maintain up-to-date records and communicate regularly to maintain good relationships with the lodging facilities, convention center staff, attractions and other agencies to collect information for maintenance of meeting planner’s guide and other trade publications and website.
• Coordinates and conducts site tours for meeting planners, showcasing facilities and attractions in the El Paso area. Participates in familiarization (FAM) programs for groups of meeting planners from across the region, state, and country; responsible for inviting qualified clients to each FAM.
• Upon completion of a convention/meeting, have immediate contact with individual(s) responsible for decision for returning to El Paso in future year(s).
• Develop and maintain relationships with professional membership organizations, local businesses, industries, institutions and the public at-large to further to goals and mission of Visit El Paso.
• Develop and apply creative approaches to promote convention business for El Paso under deadlines to meet sales goals; communicate effectively, both in oral and written form such as when making sales and informational presentations before groups of various sizes or diverse demographics, and when responding to common inquires or complaints from clients for members of the community.
• Represent the Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso in area, regional and state organizations such as EPHMA, TACVB, TSAE, SGMP, or other organizations/associations as directed.
• Perform related duties as required.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
• Strong sales team leadership experience
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered during employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to solicit, close and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
• College education or equivalent combination of education and experience
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 915-534-0690
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA, Federal Contractor