Part-Time Destination Experience Specialist
Under general supervision, the Destination Experience Specialist provides comprehensive information about El Paso’s hotels, restaurants, and attractions to tourists. The following are typical for this position. The position may not perform all of these, and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide customer service and visitor information to visitor and residents at various locations (Downtown, El Paso International Airport, and mobile visitor center at offsite events).
• Participate in general visitor information center functions including but not limited to creating itineraries for visitors based on requests, provide driving and walking directions, information on upcoming events, etc.
• Keep brochure racks stocked and brochures ordered as needed.
• Must maintain a clean and organized visitor information center.
• Duties might include selling items such as postcards and other retail promotional items.
• Answer and appropriately route incoming telephone calls.
• Record detailed messages from callers and/or visitors.
• Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
• Act as handler for Amigo Man, city mascot.
• Work various locations including offsite events with the public.
• Provide directional information for travelers at El Paso International Airport Visitor Center.
• Act as a docent for prescheduled tours of downtown El Paso or other attractions as needed.
• Assist administration during meetings, conventions, and events, as necessary.
• Promote events, programs, and social media channels for Destination El Paso.
• Aid in planning and execution of Visit El Paso events.
• Track and record phone call, FaceTime, and walk-in interactions.
• Receive cash and credit payments for retail items and issues correct change and receipts in a timely manner.
• Completes all necessary reports/paperwork involved in reconciliation of money collected.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED. Must have good knowledge of the city of El Paso and customer service. Must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to tactfully handle irate tourists; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public. Spanish preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Maintain a good knowledge of El Paso and keep current with news, restaurants, attractions, hotels and any other pertinent information that would be beneficial to tourists and residents.
• General knowledge of city of El Paso to provide directions.
• Demonstrate skills in customer relations and problem solving.
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Resolve problems, address complaints as they arise, work effectively under pressure and produce accurate results.
• Experience handling cash, credit cards and other forms of payment.
• Calculate mathematical computations and handle cash/credit transactions rapidly and accurately.
• Use multi-line telephone system and other office equipment including copier, typewriter and fax machine.
• Computer knowledge in Windows, Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel, Infotrac and Internet preferred.
• Familiarity with Apple products (iPad).
• Must be able to lift over 30 lbs.
• Must have a valid driver’s license; must drive to the various Visitor Information Centers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
• Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
• Work under adverse indoor/outdoor conditions including extreme heat and cold.
• Work in loud environments surrounded by crowds.
Note: This description portrays in general terms the type of levels of work performed and it not intended to be all-inclusive or to represent specific duties of any incumbent. The knowledge of skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job-training.
ASM GLOBAL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.