Convention Sales Manager
**Under the direction of the Director of Convention Development, the Sales Manager is responsible for enhancing economic and social growth in El Paso by marketing, promoting, developing and coordinating meetings, conventions, conferences, tradeshows and special events for the city by working closely with meeting planners, event coordinators and executive directors. **
• Responsible for soliciting and booking of group business for El Paso area hotels, meeting facilities and other venues, with a primary focus on securing hotel room nights for the city.
• Develop, manage and maintain computerized client database of meeting planners with the intent to initiate sales contacts, and receive, answer and respond to inquiries and requests or provide other assistance.
• Prospect new clients, business and make contact with associations via various solicitation methods including but not limited to internet research, telephone calls, letters, and personal contacts to research meeting needs and determine department’s role for meeting those needs.
• Conduct direct sales efforts through convention bids, targeted sales missions, sales calls, and participation in trade shows and travel industry activity designed to reach consumers and meeting planners.
• Conduct follow-up calls as a result of trade shows, expos or sales missions.
• Conducts site tours of the Greater El Paso area as required. Entertains clients as appropriate during but not limited to hospitality suites, receptions, site visits and familiarization tours.
• Organize and execute familiarization trips, sales trips, blitzes and city tours for prospective clients.
• Assist in the coordination and execution of sales missions to Austin and other cities as determined by Director and marketing plan.
• Develops and maintains an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the capabilities of the Greater El Paso area and effectively uses this knowledge as a sales tool.
• Utilize the MINT and TxMet systems to identify leads and to keep updated with meeting information.
• Utilize department’s database to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospect leads, new business, sales calls, existing client interaction, and group servicing activity.
• Meet or exceed quantifiable goals for calls made, leads generated, and business confirmed determined by Convention Development Director on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Produce monthly sales report for Convention Development Director, including minimum number of sales calls per days as directed.
• Produce detailed wrap reports at the conclusion of each travel mission or sales trip.
• Develop relationships and build partnerships with local businesses, attractions and hotels relative to El Paso’s hospitality industry. Maintain up-to-date records and communicate regularly to maintain good relationships with the lodging facilities, convention center staff, attractions and other agencies to collect information for maintenance of meeting planner’s guide and other trade publications and website.
• Handle all clients from initial contact through actual booking through the planning process and servicing to the conclusion of their meeting or event. Assist with the follow-up of the post-convention evaluation.
• Arrange Site Inspections for pending business and potential customers to showcase El Paso as a meeting destination, through hotel tours, city tours and possibly the Convention Center.
• Research and develop themes for “packaging” El Paso to both groups and visitors. Organize package contents and create design for package presentation with the assistance of the Advertising & Marketing Department.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with professional membership organizations, local businesses, industries, institutions and the public at-large to further to goals and mission of Visit El Paso.
• Represent the Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso in area, regional and state organizations such as EPHMA, TACVB, TSAE, SGMP, or other organizations/associations as directed.
• Perform related duties as required.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management • Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered in the course of employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Develop and apply creative approaches to promote convention business for El Paso under deadlines to meet sales goals; communicate effectively, both in oral and written form such as when making sales and informational presentations before groups of various sizes or diverse demographics, and when responding to common inquires or complaints from clients for members of the community.
• Ability to close and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
• College education or equivalent combination of education and experience
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 915-534-0690.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor