Jamie Munguia vs. MacieJ Sulecki
April 24, 2021
151 Glory Rd.
- UTEP Don Haskins Center
EL PASO, TEXAS (March 31, 2021) – Mexico’s biggest rising star Jaime Munguia (36-0, 29 KOs) will face his toughest challenge to date as he defends his WBO Intercontinental Middleweight Championship against Maciej Sulecki (29-2, 11 KOs) in a 12-round battle on Saturday, April 24 at The University of Texas at El Paso’s Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas under strict COVID-19 fan safety protocols and with a reduced event capacity below 40%. For detailed COVID-19 event safety fan protocols, click here or visit http://www.utepspecialevents.com.
The fight will be streamed live exclusively on DAZN worldwide, excluding Mexico. Similar to Garcia vs. Campbell, the event will feature an earlier start time of 12:30 p.m. PT/ 1:30 MDT/3:30 ET to maximize the audience across North America and Europe.
Additional information regarding the undercard will be announced soon.
“There is no more exciting a middleweight in the world today than Jaime Munguia, and every time he fights, he brings huge knockout power into the ring,” said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy. “Sulecki is a tough customer who gave Danny Jacobs all he can handle, but if Munguia can pass this test, a world championship fight is right around the corner.”
Munguia is a 24-year-old former world champion from Tijuana, Mexico who leaped onto to the highest levels of the super welterweight division by knocking out Sadam “World Kid” Ali to capture the WBO title. Munguia then defended his title against Liam “Beefy” Smith, Brandon “Bad Boy” Cook, Takeshi Inoue, Dennis Hogan and Patrick Allotey. After five defenses at junior middleweight, Munguia moved up to 160 pounds to capture the WBO Intercontinental Middleweight Title against Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan, which he defended against Tureano Johnson. Munguia looks to demonstrate the new skills he’s acquired under head trainer Erik “El Terrible” Morales against the toughest challenge of his career to date.
“I feel very happy to be returning on April 24 against Maciej Sulecki,” said Munguia. “It will be a great fight against great challenger. We are training at 100% to be in the best of conditions, and we promise to deliver an exciting battle.”
Sulecki is a Polish contender who has scored knockout victories against Hugo “The Boss” Centeno Jr. and countryman Grzegorz Proksa. The 31-year-old puncher has only suffered two defeats, which were against Daniel “The Miracle Man” Jacobs and Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade. Sulecki believes Munguia is standing in his way of another title shot.
“I’m very excited for the opportunity to return to the United States and fight in the main event of such a big card,” said Sulecki. “Jaime Munguia is a strong, young warrior, but I have fought against some of the best of this division. On April 24, I will show the world that I am a top middleweight contender and that I deserve another world title shot.”
“Maciej Sulecki is very excited about this opportunity to test his skills against Jaime Munguia,” said Leon Margules, President of Warriors Boxing. “This is the perfect challenge to demonstrate that Sulecki deserves another world title shot, and it has all the ingredients to make for an action-packed battle.”
Munguia vs. Sulecki is a 12-round fight for the WBO Intercontinental Middleweight Title presented by Golden Boy in association with Zanfer Promotions and Warrior’s Boxing. The event is sponsored by Tecate “The Official Beer of Boxing” and Hennessy “Never Stop. Never Settle.” The fight will take place on Saturday, April 24 at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas and will be streamed live exclusively on DAZN worldwide, excluding Mexico, beginning at 12:30 p.m. PT/1:30 MDT/3:30 ET.
Tickets for Munguia vs. Sulecki go on sale Friday, April 2 at 10:00 am MDT and are priced at $200, $100, $60 and $35 not including applicable service charges. In an effort to promote social distancing, tickets will be sold in pods/groupings of 2, 3, 4 and 6 people only. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call 915-747-5234. Tickets will also be available for purchase at http://www.utepspecialevents.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
For more information, visit www.goldenboypromotions.com and DAZN.com. Follow on Twitter @GoldenBoyBoxing and @DAZNBoxing. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoy and https://www.facebook.com/DAZN. Follow on Instagram @GoldenBoy and @DAZNBoxing. Follow the conversation using #MunguiaSulecki
April 23 Jaime Mungia vs Maciej Sulecki World Championship Boxing Match COVID-19 Guest Protocols
• Guests are asked to follow CDC Guideline and UTEP Protocols: o Stay home when you are sick. o Avoid close contact with people who are sick. o Wear a face covering. o Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. o Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash immediately after use. o Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the restroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty
• Pre-event o Tailgating is prohibited. o Parking is included in your ticket. o All parking lots will open 2 hours prior to the event. o Face coverings/masks are required after leaving your vehicle.
• Arena Entry o Doors will open 1.5 hours before the event to assist with fan entry and social distancing. o We ask patrons to allow plenty of time to go through the safety procedures required before entering the building. o Guests are highly encouraged to enter the Don Haskins Center through the door closest to their parking spot or the entrance closest to their seats. o Upon arriving at the Don Haskins Center entrances, guests will be social distanced and must have a mask on in order to enter. Guests without a mask will not be allowed to enter. o A clear bag policy is in place and will be enforced. Visit UTEPMiners.com/clearbagpolicy for more information. o Guests are encouraged to have their ticket already downloaded to their phone and opened on their screen or on-hand if a physical ticket was issued to expedite screening and entry. o Once inside the arena, guests must leave their face covering/mask on.
• Arena Attendance o Guests are required to wear a mask while in the arena. o Guests are asked to try and remain socially distanced at all times while traversing the arena. o Guests must follow and abide by building signage and directions provided by arena personnel and security staff. o All guests will have assigned seats. There will be no general admission seating. o All aisle seats are not being sold to provide additional distancing between guests, especially for guest movement/flow purposes. o Guests’ seats are socially distanced and all patrons must remain in their assigned seats during the entirety of the game (outside of utilizing restrooms, purchasing concessions, etc.). o Arena security and ushers will monitor the stands and other fan areas to ensure guests remain in the seats they purchased and abide by all arena rules and regulations. o Restrooms will have capacity limits and will be monitored by arena personnel. Guests should plan accordingly if they need to use these facilities. o Restroom interiors will be adjusted to provide as much social distancing as possible (e.g. certain sinks and toilets will not be in operation). o Restroom signage will be installed detailing COVID-19 recommendations (i.e. hand washing procedures) and Guests are asked to practice these. o Sanitization stations will be erected throughout the arena. Guests should utilize these liberally. o All concession workers will receive safety training, especially education focused on new COVID-19 parameters. o The number of concessions stands and points of sale will be reduced compared to previous years to help accommodate social distancing on the concourse. o The concessions menu will be modified to provide more products that are pre-prepped and sealed. o Clear Plexiglas dividers will be installed at each concession stand. o Concessions points of sale and service locations in hospitality areas will have signage and stanchions or markings to promote social distancing. o Guests are encouraged to plan ahead and pay for concessions and make other event purchases with debit/credit cards instead of with cash as cash sales will be discouraged. o Signage and stanchions will be erected outside concession stands to promote social distancing. o Concessions items will come with individual utensils, napkins and condiments. Satellite condiment stations will not be in use. o Water fountains will not be available. Guests are allowed to bring one, sealed water bottle into the arena. o Traditional concourse displays and setups have been reduced or removed to accommodate social distancing. o All arena staff and event personnel will be required to fill out and complete an online COVID-19 screening form prior to arriving to campus for event. o All arena staff and event personnel will be required to wear face coverings at all times. o In addition to wearing a mask, concessions and event vendors will be required to wear gloves. o Frequency of cleaning by custodial staff will be increased, especially in high traffic public areas and items that incur shared use (countertops, railings, doorknobs/door handles, elevator buttons, etc.) o COVID-19 fan protocols will be messaged and reiterated via the video board and public address system. o Children must be accompanied by their parents at all times and also wear face coverings.
• Arena Exiting o At the conclusion of the event, guests will be instructed to depart in a “deplaning” fashion with those patrons closest to the exits leaving first followed by the next closet guests, all the while recognizing and respecting social distancing.
• Other Event Day Protocols o Event tickets will only be sold through ticketmaster.com only. Call (915) 747-5234 Email firstname.lastname@example.org No in-person sales prior to event day o University Ticket Center will open 3 hours prior to event start to provide in-person sales (if tickets remain).