Historical and Cultural Sites
When the Plains Indians first saw the men of the 10th Cavalry wearing with their dark skins, curly hair and wearing fur overcoats they referred to them as "Buffalo Soldiers." The nickname "Buffalo Soldiers" was originally given to the 10th Cavalry by Cheyenne warriors out of respect for their fierce fighting in 1867. The Cheyenne Native American term used was actually "Wild Buffaloes", which was translated to "Buffalo Soldiers." In time, all African American Soldiers became known as "Buffalo Soldiers." Despite second-class treatment these soldiers made up first-rate regiments of the highest caliber and had the lowest desertion rate in the Army.
Originally built in 1912 and listed on the National Historical Register. The 80-year old Tiffany glass dome, once part of the hotel's lobby, is now the showcase of the elegant Dome Bar. The hotel has hosted such guests as Pancho Villa, President Taft, and "Blackjack Pershing".
Founded in 1853, Concordia Cemetery began as a rancho founded by Hugh Stevenson. When his wife tragically died from blood poisoning after being gored by a pet deer, she became the first resident of what was to become the largest cemetery in the southwest. Concordia is the resting place for over 60, 000 historical citizens and early pioneers of El Paso and Juarez. John Wesley Hardin, Reverend Joseph Tayes, the Mundeay family, Lawman John Selman and many more are forever residents of Concordia. Visit the regions own "Boot Hill" where you will "Walk Through History."
This is the famous home of Richard F. Burges. The Burges House also serves as a historical research center. The Classical Revival style house features four large columns in the front supporting the roof. Burges was city attorney in 1908 and wrote the city charter. He became a member of the Texas House of Representative in 1913. He was instrumental in the development of Carlsbad Caverns and the building of the Elephant Butte Dam. The home is now the headquarters for the El Paso County Historical Society.
Union Passenger Station, also referred to as Union Depot by many, has represented El Paso's connection to the rest of the world for the past 100 years. It supported the establishment of trade between the United States and Mexico as the first International Train Station in the United States. The Southern Pacific, Santa Fe, Galveston, Harrisburg, San Antonio, Texas, Pacific and the Mexico Central Railroads all moved in and out of the City.
Located in El Paso’s Lower Valley this Trail is rich in history dating back 400 years. Sure to take your breath away these three adobe churches remain as living testaments to the faith of our Spanish and Indian ancestors. Established in 1862 the Ysleta Mission is the cornerstone of the Ysleta del Sur Indian Pueblo. Two miles east lies the Socorro Mission. The architecture of this mission reflects the culture, politics and insurmountable spirit of the early settlers of this vibrant town. Established in 1789 the San Elizario Chapel is an amazing paragon of late adobe church architecture in West Texas and New Mexico. It is an exquisite reflection of European architectural styles on the earlier, simpler box-like missions of the region.
El Paso Mission Trail Association is dedicated to the education, promotion and preservation of the missions at Ysleta, Socorro, and San Elizario Chapel. An exhibit, “Paths of the Padres-Discover El Paso’s Historic Missions” is on permanent display at the El Paso International Airport.
Fray Garcia Monument, a 14-foot bronze sculpture by John Houser honoring the priest who founded the area’s first mission. Located in Pioneer Plaza at the corner of El Paso and San Francisco Streets downtown.
John Houser is outstanding for his mastery of both painting and sculpture. He was born in South Dakota where his father was assistant sculptor in the carving Mt. Rushmore. John studied in Spain and Italy. He is a professional member of the National Sculpture Society. The artist has exhibited throughout the United States, Latin America and Europe. His work is in prominent public and private collections. His sculpture has been featured in the worldwide media including The New York Times, The London Sunday Telegraph, Southwest Art Magazine, Der Spiegel, and The Houston Chronicle. For over 5-years, a PBS TV filmmakers has been documenting the creation of the giant equestrian bronze. This will be the first time ever that the making of a colossal monument has been documented from the sequential processes - maquette, enlarging process, casting, finishing, installation and dedication.
Built in 1875 for pioneer, politician, and civic leader Joseph Magoffin, the nineteen-room adobe home containing original family furnishings is El Paso’s only historic house museum.
The McCall Center, located in the historic home of Marshall and Olalee McCall, contains a museum, gift shop and photographic collection on local and national Black History, and archives. The Center offers many sponsored programs, and serves as the meeting and gathering place for El Paso’s African-American community. Admission is free. Open Monday-Friday 10 a.m- 3 p.m., weekends by appointment or for special activities.
Standing atop the Sierra de Cristo Rey (Formerly known as the Cerro de los Muleros, Mule Drivers Mountain), in Sunland Park, New Mexico, the 29 ft. tall limestone statue of Christ serves as a shrine to thousands of faithful in the El Paso and Southern New Mexico area. Because of Mt. Cristo Rey’s proximity to Mexico, it’s best to hike up the mountain in a group.
In January 1914, John Pershing arrived in El Paso to take command of the Army 8th Brigade that was stationed at Fort Bliss. At the time, the Mexican Revolution was underway in Mexico, and the 8th Brigade had been assigned the task of securing the U.S.-Mexico border. In March 1915, under the command of General Frederick Funston, Pershing led the 8th Brigade on the failed 1916–1917 Punitive Expedition into Mexico in search of the outlaw Pancho Villa. General Pershing was assigned a 1915 Dodge Brothers touring car, serial number 3066. During this time, George S. Patton served as one of Pershing's aides.
After a year at Fort Bliss, Pershing decided to arrange for his family to join him. The arrangements were almost complete when, on the morning of August 27, 1915, he received a telegram telling him of a fire in the Presidio of San Francisco. His wife and three young daughters had been burned to death; only his six-year-old son Warren had been saved. After the funerals at Lakeview Cemetery in Cheyenne, Wyoming, Pershing returned to Fort Bliss with his son, Warren, and his sister Mae, and resumed his duties as commanding officer.
A fiberglass sculpture by Luis Jiménez honoring the city’s colorful past, when real alligators graced San Jacinto Plaza in the center of downtown. Bordered by Mills, Mesa, Oregon and Main Streets.
The Salt Flats are a remnant of an ancient, shallow lake that once occupied this area of the Guadalupe Mountains approximately 1.8 million years ago. Today, they are part of the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.
This monument is the second of twelve sculptures comprising the XII Travelers Memorial of the Southwest as conceived by Sculptor John Sherrill Houser and depicting 400 years of Southwestern history at the Pass of the North. Commissioned as “Don Juan de Oñate, Founder of the Hispanic Southwest, 1598”, who gave our city its name.
In 1997, the El Paso City Council approved the model for the monument. It was enlarged 13 times (over 2,000 times by volume) to 36 feet in Mexico City by the sculptor, the associate sculptor and a crew of five. In 2003, the first of 500 molds were trucked to Shidoni Foundry in New Mexico for bronze casting. In February 2006, large bronze sections were transported to Eagle Bronze Foundry in Lander, Wyoming for assembly and patina. In April 2006, the completed monument arrived at the El Paso International Airport to await the completion of the base and foundation.
Based on Italy's Piero della Francessca Trail-which connects the towns of Arezzo, Monterchi, San Sepolcro (on the border of Tuscany and Umbria), and Urbino-the Tom Lea Trail connects the regional histories of eleven Texas cities, crossing the border at El Paso.